We’re doing a SONG PROJECT in PSYCHOLOGY CLASS.
DOES ANYONE SEE WHERE I’M GOING WITH THIS?!
I picked ‘Everything Else’, but it’s so short! I don’t want to have to talk to present it (we can make a video/automatic powerpoint), so I was trying to SLOW it DOOWN so I could have stuff on the slides AS the song played, but yeah not working. Slowed it down 10%, and it sounds fine (changed tempo, not speed -.-), but it’s weird =/ Otherwise, I have to play through the song, then play it piece by piece, which would be awfully tedious. But YEAH I didn’t think I would be able to tie it in to psychological concepts easily but it wasn’t that bad.
So yeah, anything else was either to poetic, too blatantly on topic, or would make me seem crazy. This song makes some sense WITHOUT a shitload of context and is one of those high school angsty songs that won’t make everyone be all “WTF SHOWTUNES LOL” (not that I don’t WANT people to be all “WTF SHOWTUNES LOL” ‘cause I’m a free bitch, baby, but still).
Also, I’m gonna cut a bitch if my teacher makes me censor the three cuss words in the song =/ They’re HARDLY offensive.
Wednesday, May 6
DIANA – watching CNN. Will my pretty pills make me immune to Swine Flu? Husband Dan napping in armchair.
DAN – just woke up from nap to Diana obsessing over Swine Flu, of all things.
NEXT TO NORMAL #__
If you want to know how many times I’ve seen the show, you can find my last post and do the math :)
So yeah my bff Hannah and I went to the matinee last Sunday in San Diego. Not the greatest idea since Hannah really wanted to meet Alice, but we couldn’t really go any other day and couldn’t go at night since finals week started the next day. We bought out tickets the morning before the show and had balcony seats. We were in the front row of the “balcony” which is the back half of the mezzanine and our view was pretty great. I felt like the Balboa Theater was like 20x smaller than the Ahmanson, but that’s probably because I either sat in the orchestra or the balcony (3rd floor, guys) there. And there were only three seats in our row because they split the section to make room for the entrance which comes up from underneath. So we had a mini row to ourselves. And oddly enough the tow rows behind us were also empty (three seats wide, people moved up after intermission).
So yeah I was really happy to get my first N2N playbill since CTG made their own programs in LA. Lame that they don’t have the cast’s headshots, though. I was like “We’re gonna steal a whole stack of playbills” and we ended up not and we just got like two each but Hannah gave me her extra one that wasn’t signed…
I spent like ALL OF MY MONEY and got the hoodie and the tour shirt (one I could WEAR) and a keychain which I probably won’t use (don’t judge). The merch lady kinda remembered me and we talked briefly about how this was our last time seeing the show and she asked if we were gonna go up to San Francisco and I’m just like ;_;
I can’t remember much since it was almost a week ago, but whatever. I do think that I was able to enjoy the show more than I’ve ever been able to (tie with my front row seat in LA…).
(Not So) Random Notes:
- I was basically just freaking our during JAD because it was dawning on me that it was the last time that I’d hear that some. Same with EE, but after that I kinda got over it.
- After all of the Curt hate on Tumblr last week, I kinda understood where everyone is coming from, but still you guys can all calm down -.- I already told someone on here that, no, he isn’t Aaron or Kyle vocally, but seriously he does a fine job. Whiny voice, yeah, but we’ll live. Comparisons never help.
- Seriously for like EVERY SINGLE JOKE in the whole show, the audience took like THREE SECONDS to process it, and THEN laugh and I was just like -___-.
- (Going out of order here) when Dan is explaining to Natalie what ECT is, Alice LAUGHED and it was so funny! (you can barely hear it, but should I…?)
- Alice’s voice sounded more tired and worn out than I had heard it at any other show. Concerns me a little but I mean we’ve all kinda gotten over that.
- Asa has been struggling pretty badly. For the the last few shows I went to in LA, he would slip into his falsetto for many notes or crack (like at the end of A Promise [like every time]). This time, he just used his falsetto for quite a few notes. Hope he can hold out.
- Didn’t really notice as many new things (lol should I have?).
- Alice changed up the choreography during Psychopharmacologist when she’s dancing around him and he’s standing still. Kinda cute.
- Curt did the Kyle Dean note. Didn’t falter. I just feel weird because I felt like I didn’t like his voice as much but it’s weird cause it’s just cause everyone’s been hating, but he really isn’t bad at all.. (don’t judge based on that San Diego TV promo!!).
- Seems like Preston finally reliably raises the roof when he says “tomorrow’s the dance”.
- OH I can’t remember which song this happened during (but I think it was HCIEF), but there was like a flash of light! Hannah thought someone took a picture but I swear to god I saw the source of the light on the third level, so did like one of the strobe lights go off…?
- OH RIGHT I had always seen Emma do one of two things for the “I mean, PORTLAND!” line, and she did something new this time! It’s what I picture as a more standard delivery of the line. She just like waved her hands like “ooooh portland -.-“, but she usually does the rock sign or whatever she did before that (I can’t remember..).
- During IGBG Reprise, both of the “What was his name?”s were really quiet.
- Alice rushed the intro to Why Stay. Like REALLY RUSHED. Like the whole “So steadfast and stolid and stoic and solid” was less than two seconds.
- Preston didn’t make Hey #3 all funny/adorable (which is totally fine).
- THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I SAW THE SHOW AND THE AUDIENCE CLAPPED AFTER HEY#3 (how depressing is THAT?) and I got all excited cause they always do on Broadway from what I hear and they never have when I’ve gone.
- Was kind of out of it during Light cause I was kind of freaking out.
- So besides Just Another Day, I pretty much cried at all the regular moments. Not cried, but teared up. So JAD just cause it was my last, IMTM, HNH, IDAD, Light in the Dark, HCIEF, Maybe, So Anyway, and every song for the rest of the show.
Stagedooring: So yeah there were actually a lot of people, and the door just opens to the sidewalk which is a pain for everyone. Emma signed for a few but then ran away, and I wanted her to sign my playbill but oh well… Missed Preston because I got Jeremy (needed him for my poster) and they both left (to go eat..?). Got Asa, then people were waiting for Alice and Curt, but people left pretty quickly. There was a group of maybe like 10 ish that waited forEVER. Of course the two people I needed for my poster didn’t come out but oh well D:
After everyone left (we were basically the last ones to stick around..) we went to find a bathroom, and then we came back to check the door one last time and ran into Preston in the mall -.- It was extremely awkward cause he obviously saw that we saw the show and I don’t remember but I think I said “hi” but I’m not sure.. and he was just like “hey how are ya!” and we just walked past. Hannah thought he remembered us but I don’t think he did. (but he said “hey again!” like every other time I stagedoored -.-). Should’ve asked him to sign my playbill but it didn’t really occur to me.
So i feel very fortunate that I had at least one perfect stagedoor experience, and the higher powers did me a favor by making me forget to buy a program the first time I went. (if you actually read this, this was my 6th time going). Also, I can’t even express how happy I am that I have a tour shirt that I can actually wear (only some of my friends know what that means…). So yeah. Looks like it’s goodbye but I actually feel very fulfilled as I write this.
May or may not edit this if I remember anything of significance. More for me, though.
Yeah. I’m in San Diego. I’m about to watch a musical. Not going to elaborate :)
I’m gonna cry D: LAST TIME EVER.
“I have thousands of self-portraits. It’s this thing I do, it’s like, this obsession of mine, fetish, or whatever you wanna call it. And uhh.. I can’t believe I just outed myself.”Alice Ripley
“This morning, I stuck my face in some ice.”Alice Ripley
NEXT TO NORMAL #5
GOODBYE FOREVER. MY LIFE IS OVER. Just kidding. (or am I?)
DECEMBER 30, 2010
So my bff Hannah came with me again. My Christmas present was a front row ticket (sorry, but.. :O fuck yeah) and she got a $20 ticket up in the balcony. SORRY. I didn’t stop apologizing -.- but whatevs she wanted to stagedoor. So basically, this was the last time I’m ever gonna see the show (but I might have to stagedoor MORE ON THAT LATER). My neck hurts from looking up so often but IT WAS SO WORTH IT.
We got Carl’s Jr. on the way up because I wasn’t terribly hungry and didn’t want to eat like a full meal. We got there kinda early and hung out in the car and went in blah blah. I had to BRING my huge poster and CD in because the escalators are one way and they switch after the show so it’s a pain to go down and back up after the show. So yeah me and Hannah split and I went down to the front and this old man next to me see my poster and is like “Are you a groupie?” and I said something along the lines of “Oh idk if I’d call myself that..” and he was like “no you are” and I was like “ok..”. So basically, he’s seen the show a bazillion times in NYC and here (He said he went to EVERY SINGLE PREVIEW. That’s like a week of shows). It was so funny because we were talking about the OBC and the current BC and the touring cast and he was like “oh mai gawwd the guy playing gabe rn” and I was like -_- i know his name mr. so I was like “Yeah Kyle Dean” and he’s like on my gawwd he’s gorgeous and I’m like -_______- And yeah he’s telling me all this shit about how he’s seen Matthew Morrison catching N2N here a couple times (??).
Then he starts talking to me about COLLEGE after I told him I was a senior and I was like NO because if you don’t know, I’m still finishing my apps. So yeah and he said the audiences have been getting a lot better (and they have, louder laughter, etc etc). So yeah then the show started. Random notes later.
THEN during intermission I met Hannah on one of the middle floors and Hannah sees this girl come out from the mezzanine and she was all dressed up like not theater dressed up but like yeah and then it was fucking NAYA RIVERA so we saw her go in the bathroom and totally creeped around and we each got a pic with her!! That’s coming as soon as I photoshop it :)
Went back in, show was amazing, random notes, then stagedoor:
- First off, don’t nail me for not noticing things until now.
- It’s crazy that I keep noticing more and more things. It was inevitable sitting in the front row because I can’t ignore what’s going on on the first floor of the set even when the action is elsewhere.
- Pretty sure I saw up Alice’s dress/skirt/gown like five times -.-
- I like actually heard THEM SINGING and not like just the speakers (the speakers in the front are really quiet). I could see them spit every 5 seconds, too.
- So yeah. Books next to the chair include: The Testament, Visions of Paradise, something about architects “housing themselves”??, another book on like building “wonders” or something. Yeah. Creepin’
- Didn’t know Alice for like the first half of SATIG. It was kind of weird because I could hear her and she’s in Curt’s arms and like Emma is singing a floor up.
- Alice said “That’ll teach you for taking a whole 10 minutes”.
- Preston changed a few things up. Nothing extremely noteworthy.
- Started noticing how early they put props up in the back.
- Asa cleans everything up and Alice does like nothing LOL.
- I could smell the smoke from the candles :O
- It was really creepily haunting to watch Alice during ‘He’s Not Here’ because she’s like crying but it’s weird like she seriously seems crazy (groundbreaking, I know).
- She cried through like all of YDK and IATO. Yeah. Sorry, just couldn’t see from my other seats.
- I never noticed how much Curt smiles during so many scenes.
- Yeah he nailed the Kyle Dean note. Phew.
- Asa resorted to his falsetto on many occassions, including that SAME note at the end of ‘A Promise’, and he still started to crack in his falsetto. So strange. He hits so many higher notes.
- I NEVER noticed how Curt and Dr. are saying OW over and over during WIWH.
- The music box is green on the bottom. lol. And I could totally see all the little prongs that hold the pieces together after he throws it.
- I could’ve sworn Dan used a towel in previous shows. It was a sponge. I’m probably wrong. Hey, I haven’t seen it THAT many times.
- Why does Curt’s shirt say “Overlook Hospital” on it during DISTM?
- Emma acted extra pissy during BTB which was funny. She did the rock sign Portland again.
- Preston did this adorable thing with the word “dance” in Hey.
- Never noticed that he sets the ticket down beside her o_O
- Asa was totally crying really quietly during HCIEF.
- Curt struggles with the beginning of the reprise of ‘I’m Alive’ like every time. It sounds fine, but idk, just can’t hit the notes as clearly as we’re all used to.
- Emma has been amazing during Maybe the past two times I went. She didn’t as emotional the first few times.
- Does anyone else think Asa should work on his sobs :x
- Yeah totally teared up during Light. During the curtain call Asa’s head was like two feet from mine -.-
- Yeah for some reason I always get the most chills during the reprise of IATO. It was so funny because Curt’s face squished up against Asa’s shoulder and he looked ridiculous but then he moved lol.
SORRY THESE WERE ALL OUT OF ORDER. JUST DIDN’T WANT TO FORGET ANYTHING SO I TYPED EM AS THEY CAME. I probably have more that I’ll edit in for my personal reasons lolwutnevermind.
STAGEDOORING: So last time, it was pouring. This time, IT WAS COLD AS FUUUU. My hands were legitimately in PAIN, and I was shivering. It was soooo windy. I didn’t get any pictures, but Hannah did and her hair and Emma’s hair were like ridiculous in the wind lol. Only Emma, Preston, and Asa came out. Caitlin and [that guy who u/s for Gabe and Henry] came out and I was like hmm but then they were gone before I did anything. I would feel bad since it’s not like I’ve seen them on. Curt came out and RAN to a Jeep that had JUST pulled up along the curb. Hannah was pissed. He was wearing those huge, dark rimmed glasses that Asian people can never wear. They didn’t really say that Alice was gone, but they kind of did, and everyone left. So my huge poster is missing two autographs. Which is why I need to stagedoor. It’s like, a partially completely autographed poster isn’t as great as a blank poster -.- THAT’S JUST ME. DON’T HATE.
Also, Preston was like “Nice to meet you” to Hannah, and then he turns to me and goes, “And good to see you again!” and I go -_______- and Hannah laughs after he leaves.
Here’s where I’ll draw the line. I’m too crazy. But yeah totes (I hate that word) need to stagedoor in SD. EVEN THOUGH I’M NEVER ALLOWED TO SEE THE SHOW AGAIN OR “WASTE” GAS ON IT says my parents.
Got Taco Bell on the way home because I have to work on college supplements, but I overestimated my hunger. My second burrito is sitting in front of me and I’m gonna puke.
Yeah you can see my seat for tonight’s show in this picture. Fuuuuuuu. GOODBYE FOREVER. (Photo by Curt Hansen)
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SEEING HER PLAY DIANA.
I don’t even know what to think. Bitch seems fierce, though. Though she’s Asian. Doesn’t seem like it would work. BUT ALICE SHOULD NOT GET SICK, EVER. (THOUGH EMMA HUNTON COULD TOTALLY PASS AS A MIXED BABY LOL).
BY THE WAY, I wish I could see Caitlin Kinnunen as Natalie for some reason. Want to see more Natalies.