3. A musical that makes you sad.
Next to Normal question:
Dr. Madden tells Diana to clean out Gabe’s room, and she and Dan do that.
However, Gabe died when they were “still living downtown” in a different house. So how does he have a room in their new house? I’m sure Dan wouldn’t allow that.
We’re doing a SONG PROJECT in PSYCHOLOGY CLASS.
DOES ANYONE SEE WHERE I’M GOING WITH THIS?!
I picked ‘Everything Else’, but it’s so short! I don’t want to have to talk to present it (we can make a video/automatic powerpoint), so I was trying to SLOW it DOOWN so I could have stuff on the slides AS the song played, but yeah not working. Slowed it down 10%, and it sounds fine (changed tempo, not speed -.-), but it’s weird =/ Otherwise, I have to play through the song, then play it piece by piece, which would be awfully tedious. But YEAH I didn’t think I would be able to tie it in to psychological concepts easily but it wasn’t that bad.
So yeah, anything else was either to poetic, too blatantly on topic, or would make me seem crazy. This song makes some sense WITHOUT a shitload of context and is one of those high school angsty songs that won’t make everyone be all “WTF SHOWTUNES LOL” (not that I don’t WANT people to be all “WTF SHOWTUNES LOL” ‘cause I’m a free bitch, baby, but still).
Also, I’m gonna cut a bitch if my teacher makes me censor the three cuss words in the song =/ They’re HARDLY offensive.
Wednesday, May 6
DIANA – watching CNN. Will my pretty pills make me immune to Swine Flu? Husband Dan napping in armchair.
DAN – just woke up from nap to Diana obsessing over Swine Flu, of all things.
NEXT TO NORMAL #__
If you want to know how many times I’ve seen the show, you can find my last post and do the math :)
So yeah my bff Hannah and I went to the matinee last Sunday in San Diego. Not the greatest idea since Hannah really wanted to meet Alice, but we couldn’t really go any other day and couldn’t go at night since finals week started the next day. We bought out tickets the morning before the show and had balcony seats. We were in the front row of the “balcony” which is the back half of the mezzanine and our view was pretty great. I felt like the Balboa Theater was like 20x smaller than the Ahmanson, but that’s probably because I either sat in the orchestra or the balcony (3rd floor, guys) there. And there were only three seats in our row because they split the section to make room for the entrance which comes up from underneath. So we had a mini row to ourselves. And oddly enough the tow rows behind us were also empty (three seats wide, people moved up after intermission).
So yeah I was really happy to get my first N2N playbill since CTG made their own programs in LA. Lame that they don’t have the cast’s headshots, though. I was like “We’re gonna steal a whole stack of playbills” and we ended up not and we just got like two each but Hannah gave me her extra one that wasn’t signed…
I spent like ALL OF MY MONEY and got the hoodie and the tour shirt (one I could WEAR) and a keychain which I probably won’t use (don’t judge). The merch lady kinda remembered me and we talked briefly about how this was our last time seeing the show and she asked if we were gonna go up to San Francisco and I’m just like ;_;
I can’t remember much since it was almost a week ago, but whatever. I do think that I was able to enjoy the show more than I’ve ever been able to (tie with my front row seat in LA…).
(Not So) Random Notes:
- I was basically just freaking our during JAD because it was dawning on me that it was the last time that I’d hear that some. Same with EE, but after that I kinda got over it.
- After all of the Curt hate on Tumblr last week, I kinda understood where everyone is coming from, but still you guys can all calm down -.- I already told someone on here that, no, he isn’t Aaron or Kyle vocally, but seriously he does a fine job. Whiny voice, yeah, but we’ll live. Comparisons never help.
- Seriously for like EVERY SINGLE JOKE in the whole show, the audience took like THREE SECONDS to process it, and THEN laugh and I was just like -___-.
- (Going out of order here) when Dan is explaining to Natalie what ECT is, Alice LAUGHED and it was so funny! (you can barely hear it, but should I…?)
- Alice’s voice sounded more tired and worn out than I had heard it at any other show. Concerns me a little but I mean we’ve all kinda gotten over that.
- Asa has been struggling pretty badly. For the the last few shows I went to in LA, he would slip into his falsetto for many notes or crack (like at the end of A Promise [like every time]). This time, he just used his falsetto for quite a few notes. Hope he can hold out.
- Didn’t really notice as many new things (lol should I have?).
- Alice changed up the choreography during Psychopharmacologist when she’s dancing around him and he’s standing still. Kinda cute.
- Curt did the Kyle Dean note. Didn’t falter. I just feel weird because I felt like I didn’t like his voice as much but it’s weird cause it’s just cause everyone’s been hating, but he really isn’t bad at all.. (don’t judge based on that San Diego TV promo!!).
- Seems like Preston finally reliably raises the roof when he says “tomorrow’s the dance”.
- OH I can’t remember which song this happened during (but I think it was HCIEF), but there was like a flash of light! Hannah thought someone took a picture but I swear to god I saw the source of the light on the third level, so did like one of the strobe lights go off…?
- OH RIGHT I had always seen Emma do one of two things for the “I mean, PORTLAND!” line, and she did something new this time! It’s what I picture as a more standard delivery of the line. She just like waved her hands like “ooooh portland -.-“, but she usually does the rock sign or whatever she did before that (I can’t remember..).
- During IGBG Reprise, both of the “What was his name?”s were really quiet.
- Alice rushed the intro to Why Stay. Like REALLY RUSHED. Like the whole “So steadfast and stolid and stoic and solid” was less than two seconds.
- Preston didn’t make Hey #3 all funny/adorable (which is totally fine).
- THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I SAW THE SHOW AND THE AUDIENCE CLAPPED AFTER HEY#3 (how depressing is THAT?) and I got all excited cause they always do on Broadway from what I hear and they never have when I’ve gone.
- Was kind of out of it during Light cause I was kind of freaking out.
- So besides Just Another Day, I pretty much cried at all the regular moments. Not cried, but teared up. So JAD just cause it was my last, IMTM, HNH, IDAD, Light in the Dark, HCIEF, Maybe, So Anyway, and every song for the rest of the show.
Stagedooring: So yeah there were actually a lot of people, and the door just opens to the sidewalk which is a pain for everyone. Emma signed for a few but then ran away, and I wanted her to sign my playbill but oh well… Missed Preston because I got Jeremy (needed him for my poster) and they both left (to go eat..?). Got Asa, then people were waiting for Alice and Curt, but people left pretty quickly. There was a group of maybe like 10 ish that waited forEVER. Of course the two people I needed for my poster didn’t come out but oh well D:
After everyone left (we were basically the last ones to stick around..) we went to find a bathroom, and then we came back to check the door one last time and ran into Preston in the mall -.- It was extremely awkward cause he obviously saw that we saw the show and I don’t remember but I think I said “hi” but I’m not sure.. and he was just like “hey how are ya!” and we just walked past. Hannah thought he remembered us but I don’t think he did. (but he said “hey again!” like every other time I stagedoored -.-). Should’ve asked him to sign my playbill but it didn’t really occur to me.
So i feel very fortunate that I had at least one perfect stagedoor experience, and the higher powers did me a favor by making me forget to buy a program the first time I went. (if you actually read this, this was my 6th time going). Also, I can’t even express how happy I am that I have a tour shirt that I can actually wear (only some of my friends know what that means…). So yeah. Looks like it’s goodbye but I actually feel very fulfilled as I write this.
May or may not edit this if I remember anything of significance. More for me, though.
Yeah. I’m in San Diego. I’m about to watch a musical. Not going to elaborate :)
I’m gonna cry D: LAST TIME EVER.